Today - Cloudy. 70 percent chance of rain this morning then 30 percent chance of showers late this morning and early this afternoon. Windy this morning. High 16.
Tonight Mainly cloudy. Becoming windy near midnight. Low 11.
Tomorrow - Cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers in the morning. Clearing in the afternoon. High 18 except 21 inland.
Night Clear. Low 12.
Have faith in food . Our foods contain thousands of properties we have yet to discover. Yet many people choose pills over food because they believe food today does not contain the nutrient value of many years ago.
Residents of the 800 block Parker Street (Just off Marine Drive//East Beach) were surprised to see such a high police presence outside their homes at dinner last evening. The police acting on a tip descended on a home on Parker and took a 46 year old man and a 31 year old woman into custody.
Inside the residence police found everything to indicate a meth drug lab had been operating in the home. No charges or names have been released yet.
Missing Male to Locate
Surrey RCMP is requesting the public's assistance in locating a missing male.
Neil MCRAE was last seen around 8 pm on May 3rd, 2016 in the 1700 block of 154 Street Surrey. He has not been seen or heard from since.
MCRAE is described as a 33 year old white male who has albinism, approximately 6'1" , white hair and skinny. He was wearing a blue t-shirt, grey dress short and possibly a baseball cap. MACRAE suffers from physical and mental disabilities.
Police and family are concerned for his health and well-being.
If you know the whereabouts of this person please contact your local police or the Surrey RCMP at 604-599-0502 quoting file 2015-61426 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477
BC Superweek is pleased to announce that online registration is officially open for this year’s series, which includes the Tour de Delta, Global Relay Gastown Grand Prix, Giro di Burnaby p/b Appia Development, PoCo Grand Prix p/b Dominion Lending Centres, and Tour de White Rock p/b Steve Nash Fitness World. Men’s races are for Pro 1/2 riders and women’s races are open to Pro 1/2/3 categories.
BC Superweek is Canada’s biggest professional cycling series and features more than $125,000 in prize money available during eight races over ten days. BC Superweek runs from July 8 - 17, and is made up of the Tour de Delta (July 8, 9, 10), Global Relay Gastown Grand Prix (July 13), Giro di Burnaby p/b Appia Development (July 14), PoCo Grand Prix p/b Dominion Lending Centres (July 15), and Tour de White Rock p/b Steve Nash Fitness World (July 16, 17). For more information, visit www.bcsuperweek.ca.
Do We Have A Consensus?
This week, the first mandatory long-form census in a decade will be sent out to Canadians, marking a tradition of data collection dating back more than three centuries.
This year, three out of every four households will receive a short, compulsory questionnaire, while one in four will have to fill out a longer form of about 50 questions.
In 2006, when Canadians were first allowed to respond online, fewer than 20 per cent of people used the Internet to fill out their census. That number jumped to 54 per cent in 2011.
Yesterday the first day of actually being able to fill out the form on line, saw such a response the website crashed for an hour!
Surrey RCMP are asking the public's assistance in identifying the man who attacked and sexually assaulted a female realtor in North Surrey on Saturday afternoon.
The suspect is described as an East Indian male in his late 20’s to mid 40’s, 5’5 to 5’8 tall, with brown eyes and a dark brown well-groomed beard. He was wearing dark coloured pants and a light coloured shirt, a white turban, and he spoke with an accent.
Anyone with more information is asked to contact the Surrey RCMP at 604-599-0502 or Crime Stoppers, if they wish to remain anonymous, at 1-800-222-TIPS or go to www.solvecrime.ca.
May 03, 2016
BNSF Confirms Dates for Spraying along the Promenade and Waterfront
BNSF Railway is planning on spraying the White Rock rail line on the waterfront next Thursday weather permitting. BNSF will be putting up notices today along the promenade to alert anyone with any health and breathing concerns to avoid the promenade for a few days.
This year BNSF is planning on using more environmentally friendly pesticides this year. No exact information on what will be sprayed along the tracks to kill vegetation has been made public.
A press conference has been called for this morning at the Langley Events Centre. It is expected RON TOIGO the principle owner of the WHL Giants will announce the team will be moving to Langley for the 2016 season. Sagging attendance at the Pacific Coliseum over the past couple of years is the main reason the team will relocate to the Valley.
The Langley Rivermen of the BCHL are now expected to make an announcement they will also be moving.
White Rock Fire & Rescue have a new staff member. They would be happy to tell you his name, if he had one. This is where you come in.
Name the newest member at the fire hall. Fireman Jake and Benjamin Blaze have already been submitted.
Come join in with our local firefighters this year for the Shoreline Cleanup.
May 02. 2016
Sign From Above
(actual photo of JAS SINGH'S tractor/tiller handiwork)
JAS SINGH the creator of God's Little Acre the Surrey farm that feeds those in our community that are hungry and unable to purchase fresh vegetables always likes to have fun with promoting the farm.
Last year GOD'S LITTLE ACRE gave away 100,000 pounds of vegetables to local residents.
I will give the first five people a free veggie Spring box when they are ready in about a month or so.....and I will also allow 1000 lbs of free veggies to the charity of your choice if....You can guess what I will be writing when I complete the phrase in the picture above.......Yes I am doing this with the tractor and the final result will be announced on Saturday....I will be completing the phrase at 10 AM on Friday if it doesn't rain too much......good luck!!!!!!!! So if you have a plane...helicopter, drone, balloon, rocket, Space shuttle, come buzz me on Friday at that time...from 10 am to 11am
The farm in part is subsidized by donations as well as events like this weekend's continuing soil and plant sale.
God's Little Acre is located on 40th avenue between 152 and 168th street. Just east of Mary's Garden.
I'm Out Of Here
Co-owner of the Sandpiper Pub on East Beach BILL LAWRENCE was telling friends and patrons over the weekend he has sold the popular White Rock waterfront establishment. LAWRENCE'S plans for the future and the future of the pub are still up in the air.
White Rock councillors David Chesney & Helen Fathers pose with MLA Gordon Hogg
Hundreds of walkers turned out Sunday to Blackie Spit in Crescent Beach to help raise funds for the White Rock / South Surrey Hospice. The weather was beautiful for the 14th annual walk. MLA Gordon Hogg and Hospice Executive Director Beth Kish handled the welcoming and walk announcements.
Learn about the many services Hospice provides to our community (click here)
Parking Rates Up
White Rock officially switched the summer parking rates into effect Sunday. If you are going to the popular waterfront area of the city remember the hourly rate is now back to $3.00
April 30, 3016
Coal Port Legal Challenge
Coal port legal challenge: a major win
Victory! This past Monday the court dismissed motions by the Port Authority and Fraser Surrey Docks to strike the locally based Communities and Coal case before it was even heard. More procedural and evidentiary maneuvers lie ahead, but we will get our day in court. We're relieved, and eager to have this case heard because we think it raises important issues about port decision making and climate change. We want theses these issues decided in open court – and the sooner the better. Thanks to everyone who donated to our legal defence fund in recent days. Your support is greatly appreciated. Thanks as well for the tireless work of our lawyers at Ecojustice!
Port reform campaign: growing momentum, a window of opportunity
Right now the federal government is considering changes to how Port Authorities operate. We're building a coalition with Communities and Coal, the Dogwood Initiative and others to send Ottawa a strong message: our ports need to be more transparent in their decision making, they need to be accountable to our regions, and they need to take community impacts and climate change seriously.
From May 2 to Sept. 30, the Patullo bridge will remain open with one lane in each direction.
Truck access will be maintained
Cyclists and pedestrians will have access to the bridge at all times.
The bridge will be closed to all traffic two nights a week and one weekend a month. Read our Closure Schedule for details about upcoming closures.
The Pattullo Bridge is one of the busiest crossings in the Lower Mainland and we expect increased congestion and delays in the area during construction. Drivers should expect traffic delays on feeder routes to the Pattullo Bridge at all times.
Blue Frog has a long list of great artists headed for White Rock this summer.
Let's jump ahead to July 02 to preview ANA POPOVIC. One of the top blues guitarists on the North American blues circuit.
“Ana Popovic is one helluva a guitar-player” - Bruce Springsteen
“Ana Popovic rocks the blues in fine, fine fashion” – Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top)
The gateway to White Rock. North Bluff & Johnston Road. How it looks today and back in the early 70's. Note in the 70;s shot in the bottom right hand corner where Semiahmoo Mall is today you can see White Rock's old fire hall.